Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What would I do without Jon Foreman?

Okay, so I'd probably be just fine without him, but I do love, love, love his music. Most of you know of my crazy obsession with all things Switchfoot/Jon Foreman. It is definitely not a crush - I'm happy with my hubby - but I think he is the most eloquent writer and the way he connects it to music really speaks to me. I guess it's a respect crush, if that makes sense to anyone other than me. From what little I know about him and from the few times I've met him, I feel like we struggle with the same things. He's just better at putting them into words than I am :)


A few weeks ago, I learned that he and Sean Watkins from Nickel Creek made an album together this year. They are both very much still with their original bands, but wanted to do a project together than turned into an album and a band called "Fiction Family". I have been listening to their music non stop, but this week the Youtube videos weren't doing it anymore and I finally bought the CD. It is great, great stuff. There is something about his voice that will always tug at my heart strings. I could listen to him sing forever.

Believe it or not, I'm not out here to promote their album (although I think it is definitely worth the $9.99!) So where am I going with this? I've been having a really hard time after someone said some harsh and crappy things about me in front of a group of others that I don't think I deserved. Tonight I decided to pop on the CD and have some quiet time with God. I was going back and forth with Him about how I really just wanted to see this person and yell back and say hurtful things to them so we were "even". In the midst of my prayer, I caught a line from one of Fiction Family's songs: "It takes two to go to war". I've gone back and listened to the song and it really has nothing to do with avenging or not avenging your anger with someone, but the moment I heard it, I knew God was telling me to let it be. It's only a war if I make it one. I was then lead to all sorts of verses that reinforced His point. God works in such neat ways and I am so thankful that He finds ways into my everyday life to show me He's here. I also love that He knows me so well and loves me so much that He spoke to me through music (Jon Foreman music at that! :) ) because He knew that would help me understand better. What a great God!

So, I guess the title of my post should not be, "what would I do without Jon Foreman?" but instead, "what would I do without my Savior?" Thank God I never have to find out!

Because I can't talk about them and not leave you something to listen to, here's some Fiction Family!






0 comments: